Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Back in Blantyre after Christmas Break!

So I am back in Blantyre since 2 weeks. It was really nice to come back to some warmer weather. Unfortunately the rains this season has been so bad that southern Malawi is declared a disaster area. Especially the lower shire valley has been badly affected by the rain. Almost 200 people have lost their lives due to floods and mudslides and thousand of people are homeless. Many schools haven't started after Christmas break because people who have lost their homes are living in the local schools and churches. In the hospital we have received many patients with trauma caused by falling houses, especially in the paediatric department. The heavy rain has caused a lot of sand, mud and debris to wash in to the water supply for Blantyre and therefore access to water around town is still scarce. When I make comments on my facebook page about being without water for 6 days I really don't feel it is a big deal. We wash ourselves in the water from the pool and if I have to wait 3-5 days without washing my hair, so what! (I just feel sorry for the people around me... ;-D ). Jokes put aside, the situation for many people are dire and my thoughts go out to all families affected by the floods in Malawi...

No comments:

Post a Comment