Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Opening a bank account!

So, last week I went to the Standard Bank Blantyre branch to open a bank account. First, I may have to tell you that the post system here is not quite like home. You don't have a mailbox at your house you have a P.O. Box and that is of course separate from your living address. When you fill in forms you have to state your mail adr. (Which in my case is a p.o. box at the hospital) and then you physical adr. which in my case is Jackson rd (nr), Blantyre Malawi. At the bank I filled out around 10 forms with personal information, the same info over and over again, including my post adress and where I live. When the guy at the bank reads through these papers he asks me: "Where do you live?" Me: "Nyambadwe" Him: "Nyambadwe is a hill" Me: "Yes, it's a hill in the Nyambadwe area but I don't live on the hill" Him: "Well, Jackson rd is not good enough, are there any trees or other landmarks around so we can find your house?" Me (trying not to laugh): "Well, it's right across the street from Peter Mutharika's house (the President of Malawi)" Him: "Yeah, that would do!" Made my day!

2 comments:

  1. Hey, just looking at Malawi based stuff and came across your blog. We lived in Jackson Road from 1971 - can't remember the house number though. You could walk up through the back garden to the back gate into Maugham Rd. I haven't visited malawi since 1988, I think it must have changed a lot.

    ReplyDelete